Monday, April 27, 2015

LakbayLoyd Lighthouse Series 24: EL FARO DE PUNTA BUGUI, Aroroy, Masbate


El Faro De Punta Bugui

Faro De Punta Bugui is located in Bugui Point, Aroroy in the northwest point of the province of Masbate. The lighthouse's location, the route from San Bernardino Strait going to Manila also called as "Southern Passage", was considered a prime spot during the famed Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade and this lighthouse was the first to be identified as being of great significance. It lighted the channel between Burias Island and Masbate Island and the channel between Burias and Ticao Islands leading to San Bernardino Strait.

Bugui Point Lighthouse was part of the initial plan during that massive construction frenzy during the Spanish colonial era in the Philippines. Work on the light started in 1893 but was stopped in 1896 with the onset of the Philippine Revolution. the Americans later on continued the construction of the entire structure and the light was finally lit in 1902.

Its design, a Victorian style of architecture, was made of masonry of what seemed to look like coral stones cut in accordance to wherever it may fit the solid wall about one meter wide. Decorative metal grilles creatively designed surround the fence, balconies and windows.

As of this writing, the lighthouse's condition is disheartening - considering its historical value and the fact that it is located in one of the most important and beautiful points in the region, or the entire archipelago. Roofs were damaged with recent strong typhoons and the entire structure totally dilapidated.


















Edwin
With Sir Edwin Ferro

How Did I Get To Aroroy

The day that followed after my Bagatao Island Lighthouse was intended for my visit to San Bernardino Island Lighthouse located in Bulusan, Sorsogon. Sir Joel Carrascal (of Bagatao Lighthouse) dropped me off to Gubat from Magallanes. From there I took a jeepney to Bulusan. It was all set - I already checked-in in a transient room in Bulusan, and arranged a boat for the San Bernardino Strait thru the courtesy of Bulusan Tourism Office.

I was set to sail when the boatman and guide called me to cancel the trip. According to them, the San Bernardino Strait is unsafe for travel due to amihan (a strong current coming from the east) and might last for the next three days. 

Not wanting to waste my previous vacation time, I immediately grabbed my bag, with some explaining to the owner of the transient house, I left Bulusan.

Where am I going? Plan B - Masbate. It was almost noon time and I can still catch a ferry to Masbate City from Pilar Port at 4pm. I have 4 hours to spare, wheeww!!!

It took more than an hour to get to Sorsogon City where I will take another jeepney to Pilar. While in transit, I called up the Tourism Officer of Pilar, Sir Joel Navora, with a little introduction, told him of my impromtu plans - and without hesitation, asked him to get me a ticket to Montegnegro Lines going to Masbate before it gets sold-out, which he agreed and complied. I was so glad to reach Pilar Port just in time for the boarding, and Sir Joel, meeting him for the first time, handed me my tickets. What was a momentous first meeting after all! Thank you, Sir Joel, for your trust and kindness.

With Sir Joel Navora

I arrived Masbate City after exactly two hours and headed to the Office of the Provincial Tourism Officer of Masbate, the very pleasant and admirable Mr. Gerardo "Butchoy" Presado. He introduced me to Governor Vicente Homer Revil and wife, Vice-Governor Kaye Revil and had a couple of chat. The Governor was equally accommodating and welcomed me with please.


With Gov. Revil and Mr.Butchoy Presado

with Vice-Governor Kaye Revil

Sir Butchoy Presado took care of all I need despite his busy schedule preparing for the Rodeo Festival and my short notice during my entire stay in Masbate. He arranged my accommodation at the Greenview Hotel. He set and arranged my Masbate province trip and introduced me to Mr. Edwin Ferro, who will be my official guide for this trip. The plan was to get to Aroroy for the Punta Bugui Lighthouse and to Jintotolo Lighthouse in Balud for the next two days.

As early as 5am, Sir Edwin and I left Masbate City on his motorcycle for Aroroy,  a first-class municipality located in the northernmost part of the Masbate. We reached Aroroy Port after a 2-hour habal-habal ride. A pre-arranged rented boat was waiting for us, courtesy of Mr. Tony Ferrer, the executive assistant to the mayor of Aroroy, Masbate who negotiated the boat rental. In a while, after a few chat with Mr. Ferrer, we were on cruise a cute small boat for P1500 round-trip to Punta Bugui (how costly for that size of a boat, wow!). Thank you Mr. Ferrer for all the help.

It was a indeed a very hot day and climbing up the Bugui Point Lighthouse was exhausting. But nothing can surpass the feeling of an achieved goal for the 24th instance here in Aroroy, Masbate. 














Tip: If taking a public transport from Masbate City, airconditioned vans going to Aroroy are available daily on regular intervals. From Aroroy Port, a number of fishing boats can be rented for Punta Bugui on cheaper price (P500 round-trip).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails