Sunday, October 26, 2014

LakbayLoyd Lighthouse Series 15: LUZ DEL PUERTO DE SAN FERNANDO, Poro Point, San Fernando City, La Union



About Luz Del Puerto De San Fernando

Towers of metal called tourelle were fabricated and designed during the massive lighting project during the Spanish Era in the 19th century. One of those, and still standing as of this present time, is the Luz Del Puerto De San Fernando.

Installed in November 1885, the tower, made entirely of steel, is one of the eight lighthouses in the Philippines of its kind which were ordered from France. It stood 6 meters from its concrete base. And because of its easy access to the community, only basic shelter were provided for the lighthouse keepers. Built in 1903, the dwelling provided for the keeper still stands.

Poro Point, also known as Punta San Fernando, has been a major navigational site since 1885. After the Spanish era, the Americans took over the port and the site became Camp Wallace.  A concrete tower, the old lighthouse’s subsequent replacement, was built in 1979. It was located a few meters inland.


My First Visit

October 5, 2014.

I took me a lot of thinking and hesitation before I finally got the glimpse and feel of the San Fernando lighthouse. I knew for a fact the the Poro Point is one of the most visited tourist attractions in La Union. 

Poro Point has a share of wartime history. The site was once a US MIlitary facility after the US gained control of the Phillipines from Spain and was called as the Wallace Air Station. 

After the transfer of the U.S. facility to the Philippine government in September 1991, it became the headquarters of the Naval Forces Northern Luzon of the Philippine Navy and was called called Poro Point Naval Station. It was later renamed as Naval Station Ernesto Ogbinar after the former Navy chief. 

With the help of the very accomodating San Fernando City guide, Ms. Marisol Quilon,  I was able to go to the lighthouse. We have to pass two separate gates with guards. Just state your intention to visit the lighthouse and you'll be allowed. Remember that this used to be a US military base used to house sophisticated communication facilities, that's why. 

Having found the concrete tower, I was still not convinced that this is the only lighthouse in Poro Point as this is just a replacement. Hmmm...where is the original tourelle then













My First Visits to La Union's Attractions

Other than surfing, there are a number of attractions around San Fernando City and nearby awaiting tourists to visit and enjoy to complete their itinerary.

Cathedral of Saint William The Hermit



Ma-Cho Temple






Around San Fernando City Plaza 





The world-famous Halo Halo De Iloko





Pindangan Ruins






Thunderbird Resort





Outside San Fernando City

Our Lady of Namacpacan (Church of Sta Catalina De Alejandra), Luna - a National Cultural Heritage Site




Bahay Na Bato, Luna






The Baluarte, a National Cultural Heritage Site





My gorgeous guide, Ms. Marisol Quilon




My Second Visit With Friends

Traveling is my way of life, and so as for my pasaway friends - Tess, Nix, and Djan.

La Union has gained it's reputation as the 'Surfing Capital of North Luzon'. Since I missed San Juan during my first visit, I decided to try it this time bringing along (or they brought me along to be their guide) the three pasaways.

Two weeks after my forst visit, on that Friday night of October 18, 2014, after a day's work, my pasaway friends made an impromptu plan to go somewhere, forcefully taking me along with them as if I was kidnapped, and ended in Partas Terminal in Pasay to take a bus to La Union. 

We arrived at San Fernando City before dawn. Not wasting any minute, I showed them around San Fernando City that morning before going to San Juan. Whether surfing or not, we opted to stay in San Juan to get a luxurious but affordable accommodation while enjoying the beach and of course, surfing kuno. 

Tess, Nix, and Djan enjoyed our three-day stay in La Union as there are unlimited activities to enjoy and explore. The Luz Del Puerto De San Fernando, the Poro Point and the Thunderbird Resort, Pindangan Ruins, Bahay Na Bato, the Baluarte, and the Namacpacan Church in Luna never fail to delight visitors. 

We took the time to really enjoy the sun, sea and sand, and some fabricated surfing in Urbiztondo. We concluded the trip with sumptuous dinner at the Halo Halo De Iloko before heading back home.

I was still so eager to look for the original tourelle, but then I didn't want to spoil and take most of our time for this yearning. I decided to search for it on my own...very very soon! 












My Third Visit Alone - The Original Tower

My recent two visits to San Fernando City were both thrilling and exciting, but seemed to be open-ended. In January 10, 2015 - for the third time, I found myself inside the Partas Bus on an unfinished business to La Union.

I wasn't really convinced it was all there is to see of the Luz Del Puerto De San Fernando - also known as Poro Point Lighthouse. I am really certain that the original tourelle tower still exists besides the new concrete tower. I Google-mapped the location, and from the satellite view, I noticed a circular structure in the vicinity of the new tower, so blurry to be recognised but I am very sure this is what I am searching for. 

And voila, I was right! The rusty abandoned original 1885 steel tower is still bolted from its concrete base. It cannot be seen from the main road and one has to go around behind the lightkeeper's almost-damaged quarter. Amazingly, the 8-meter tall tower remained standing the edge of a precipice providing a reminder of its original function as an important navigational aid of its category.

I didn't missed climbing the scary staircase of the old lighthouse to can get good views of the entire Poro Point, the San Fernando penisula, and the West Philippine Sea. Visitors are no longer allowed to climb the tower as the staircase has bocome weak and rusty as the tower aged, but my persistent was able to get the caretaker's nod! 

It was an insurmountable feeling after finally discovering the original tourelle - the historic Luz Del Puerto De San Fernando!












 
.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails