Friday, June 6, 2014

LakbayLoyd Lighthouse Series 02 : FARO DE ISLA CORREGIDOR, Corregidor Island, Cavite

My experience with this lighthouse is that, I never knew that this is a lighthouse. All I know is that it's one of the a war monuments in Corregidor Island, with a view deck for tourists to get a glimpse of  the bay surrounding the island, a museum and souvenir shops for visitors. I also thought of it as a church's bell tower because of its cross-shaped windows, and that's it!

Until I read about it in one of the fellow blogger's site, I finally realized that it is a working lighthouse, to my surprise haha!

Yes, this lighthouse is historically relevant. It was built n 1835 to guide ships entering the Manila Bay. It was damaged, though, during the World War II and was rebuilt using some of its original components from ruins (good job!). Probably the most unique in terms of design, the lighthouse's main octagonal tower stood right in the center of the 12-sided base.

The Corregidor tour costs around 2,000 pesos inclusive of buffet lunch. The tickets can be bought online from Sun Cruises Tours or directly from their ticketing office at the CCP Complex.

This is my first visit in Corregidor Island as an adult and never knew what this structure's significance to the history was. Maybe the tour operators might need to include explaining the importance on this Spanish historical landmark - aside from the American ruins and Japanese invasion orientation for that whole day duration of the packaged tour.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails