Saturday, June 7, 2014

LakbayLoyd Lighthouse Series 05 : FARO DE PUNTA DE MALABRIGO, Lobo, Batangas

My fascination to visit different lighthouses heightened and I am determined to add more to my list. My eagerness led me to visit the nearby province of Batangas where there are two existing old lighthouses namely, the Malabrigo Lighthouse in Lobo and the Cape Santiago Lighthouse in Calatagan,

Based on the materials I gathered from the net, I immediately planned my way to Lobo and Calatagan. Traversing Batangas province from extreme southern tip of the province to the extreme southwest tip may seem to be strenuous, but I know the difficulty will be paid off.

First destination - Faro De Punta De Malabrigo (Malabrigo Lighthouse)

Getting to Lobo is not that easy as I thought. There will be four transfers if you are going solo - bus to Batangas City Central Terminal from Manila, jeepney ride to Lobo terminal located in the city proper, then a long and winding 3-hour ride, again by jeepney, going to Lobo proper. To get to to the lighthouse is via tricycle which will take 15-20 minutes and would cost roughly 150-200 pesos, one way. Luckily, a former colleague who lives there found out from my FB account that I was going there and she offered me take me to the lighthouse plus other places in Lobo.

But getting to the lighthouse is my ultimate purpose. Seeing the lighthouse to its original glory was quite an amazement. Thanks to the Adopt-A-Lighthouse program by the government. The lighthouse is currently taken care of the Thomson family (Akiko is one) and is currently in very good shape.

The lighthouse was built in 1896 and I was delighted to see that despite it's centennial age, the structures are intact and well-preserved. We were not able to climb the tower, I am not sure if it's permitted. But nontheless, a must-visit for tourists and travelers.









No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails